Author Topic: Upper radiator hose collapsed  (Read 14725 times)

Offline Rotty_John

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8462
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Upper radiator hose collapsed
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:23:05 PM »
I have done a lot of work on my cooling system...

New hoses, new seals on logs, new water pump, (all from Murph), also replaced cap and temp sender and radiator switch rigged switch to allow me to turn fan on.  Ugh! All this in the last 6 months. Now I noticed  that the upper radiator hose had collapsed after a short ride. I removed radiator cap and it sprang back to position. Could I have air in the system. I did just fill it up couple of days ago.

I followed the shop procedure I think? Filled radiator with water pump bleed screw out until fluid exited water pump installed screw then filled it until it exited at thermostat bleed port, closed bleeder.  Then filled it to top of radiator neck... I am not sure where to go next. Sympoms of bad radiator cap or air in system? Any ideas?

Thanks,
John
John Moretz  COG# 8462  2000 Red Concours

Online Daytona_Mike

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8517
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Upper radiator hose collapsed
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »
Your rad cap should have  allowed the vacuum to pull fluid back in from the  overflow reservoir tank instead it colapsed the rad hose.
 Your hose that goes to the reservoir  must be blocked  or your cap is defective.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP-no flies
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Rotty_John

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »
Yes that what I figure too...

I really got to make sure that that hose isn't clogged I didn't think about that? Thanks really good idea... the cap is new of course dosen't mean its working correctly? I started bike again and it seems ok can feel flow through the upper hose and it started heating up. Wonder if something in  the overflow tank that's intermittanly clogging it? Guess I could disconnect overflow hose at radiator cap and see if its clear.

Thanks,
John

Offline RWulf

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
I think your on the right track. You may find you need to top off the over flow tank a few times till all the air has worked it's way out.
RWulf

Offline Rotty_John

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:55:05 AM »
Well the saga continues...

Overflow line is clear but top hose still collapses intermittantly.  Never overheats but top hose collapses 5-10 minutes after starting then eventually reinflates after a while or if I open cap and close. Very strange to me I ordered an OEM radiator cap from ebay for $10 off a 2003. Difficult for me to figure this out. No leaks and no loss of fluid. The cap I am using is a stant 10227 had to replace the origional it got damaged accidently. The cap says its a 13 psi cap digging through shop manual it show cap should be 14-18 psi? Could this be the issue?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »
Could be as simple as a defective section of hose?
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue 163K
http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »
I followed the shop procedure I think? Filled radiator with water pump bleed screw out until fluid exited water pump installed screw then filled it until it exited at thermostat bleed port, closed bleeder.  Then filled it to top of radiator neck...

Not quite the "shop procedure."  Manual states to fill the system and then bleed the air out at the water pump. No need to bleed the thermostat if done this way.

Based on your problem description, and filling method, you most likely still have an air bubble in the pump. Bet if you crack the bleed screw on the pump, you get some air out.
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline Rotty_John

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »
Thanks for the ideas... I did check the pump for air and got only fluid out when i bled it.  But a good idea I will check it again! I have changed fluid many times in the last 60,000 miles with no issues in the past.  I can feel fluid  traveling through system in the top hose and it warms up when its not collapsed?

Gosh I hope I didn't get a bad hose from Murph... It has only been on the bike for a couple of months? I certainly never noticed this collapsing happening in the past.

John

Offline wild man

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6174
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 05:00:28 PM »
No need to bleed the thermostat if done this way

I prefer to do both, its not that hard to bleed the thermostat and I really think air could be left under the thermo if not done, which means air still in the system.  Granted bleeding the pump is more important...

Maybe swap the old hose back to see if you still got the problem?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:02:45 PM by wild man »
Bill
USAF Ret, KC0IGL
AMA#333772, IBA#19247
2003 Connie Constance 112K and counting
2007 KLR 650, 1997 ATK 605

Offline Rotty_John

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »
Unfortunately don't have the old hose anymore? A machinist friend of mine suggested to put a spring inside of the hose? Says it common in John Deere mowers... Hmmmm

Offline RWulf

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 08:48:44 AM »
I agree you may have a week hose or the new cap is not allowing the vacuum to relieve it's self by drawing fluid back from the
coolant over flow tank. If everything is right you should not need to due things like add springs or wrap tape around hose.
Richard

Offline Rotty_John

• Training Wheels
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »
Hello all...

This morning I did the following:

Opened bleed bolt at pump. No anti freeze came out. Opened radiator cap got a solid sream of fluid from pump bleed hole. Put bolt back in refilled system. Checked both the over flow line and vent line by disconnecting and blowing air through. Even reconnected overflow line to expansion tank applied vacuum to insure its able to draw fluid from tank. All seems good. Started and bike warmed it up. Hose didn't collapse.

Rode to work approximate 5-10 minutes into ride hose collapsed. I noticed that I can tell when its doing it there is a rapid increase in water temp 1/4 scale to 1/2 deflection of scale. The hose actually will reinflate and temp drops... but for my 40 min commute it remained deflated for most of the time. Figured it would stay that way? But hose reinflated after I went through checkpoint... remained that way last 10 minutes. Going to let it cool down allow open radiator cap and see if I can add any more fluid. Overflow tank is to full mark.

Thanks,
John

Offline RWulf

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
If you can then it is not drawing out of the over flow tank. That would point to that new cap not working.
That does not make since with the hose collapsing. Maybe you have a twist in the hose that makes it
collapse when it gets hot. Keep looking.
Richard

Offline Rotty_John

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
Yes I am convinced the cap is not working! OEM will be here monday...

Offline desertjeff

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 08:30:29 PM »
Now as I understand it the hose collapses as the bike warms up and as you are riding it. Obviously the radiator pressure increases as the bike warms up. The cap is designed to maintain pressure up to the limit on the cap it will relieve pressure to the overflow after the 13 or 18 psi listed on the cap. When the bike cools and pressure drops in the radiator after the bike is turned off the cap will allow water to flow from the overflow tank back into the radiator. Water will not flow from the tank into a pressurized radiator.  So the cap is not the problem here I don't  believe. So what does pull a vacuum on the upper radiator hose while the engine is running? Well  water flows from the pump thru the motor out to the thermostat and back to the top of the radiator. The collapse is happening after the thermostat so it seems to me the problem is one of two things a sticking thermostat or a thermostat that has been installed backwards. Although backwards will generally cause almost instant overheating as the water flow will actually push or pull it closed. Hope to hear you solve your problem quickly.